Yoga Teacher Training by Evolution Yoga StL: March 9 - December 9, 2018
200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
TRAINING OVERVIEW: Welcome to Evolution Yoga STL’s FIFTH 200 hour yoga teacher training program (YTT). We are so excited to be hosted by Blue Sky Yoga STL!
Whether you are interested in learning to teach yoga or would like to deepen your own practice, Evolution’s Teacher Training program is committed to the personal success of every participant. This training will give you the foundation to uncover your purpose and the tools to make everyday life more manageable.
Our 200 hour certification program provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of teaching yoga and yogic philosophy with an emphasis on the Hatha Vinyasa style and yoga accessibility. Participants will be immersed in an experiential program rich in the full spectrum of all that is yoga where you are encouraged to ask questions and learn in a nurturing environment.
- Books and manual are included in tuition
- weekend retreat is included in tuition
- Learn from experienced and diverse teachers
- No physical flexibility required nor a need to stand on your head.
- No desire to teach yoga? Perfect! This will deepen your inner practice.
- Don't want to teach in a studio? Perfect! Learn to take yoga to nursing homes, jails, people with MS, vets, cancer survivors, schools, Girl Scouts, etc.
- Space is limited. Reserve your spot for $300.
- You already have a passion for yoga. Allow us to support you in spreading this living tradition in a way that feels meaningful to YOU.
Program Topic Overview:
Our training will explore physiological aspects of asana (poses), pranayama (breath work), yogic philosophy and meditation, anatomy/physiology as it applies to yoga, and the subtle energy body (chakras). In addition, we will cover: History and philosophy of yoga through the study of the Baghavad Gita and The Yoga Sutras, ancient texts that outline the roots of yoga.
Although Vinyasa (flow) will be our primary focus, we will have intensives in Restorative yoga, Trauma Sensitive yoga, Pre-Natal yoga, Children’s yoga, Yin yoga, and Body Positive Yoga. We will also discuss business/marketing, Principles of Practice, Demonstration, Observation, Teaching, Assists, Practice-teaching sessions with fellow trainees, intimate study groups, observing and assisting “live” classes, and teaching through your SEVA (volunteer) project.
Stacy Furr, E-RYT 500 is your lead trainer and creator of the Evolution Yoga STL curriculum, approved by Yoga Alliance. Stacy’s yoga teachings have been influenced by the likes of Kristin Gulak Cooper (Shiva Rea’s Prana Vinyasa lineage), Shari Goldstein and Mara Healy (Andre Lapa’s Universal Yoga lineage), Phyllis Rollins and Bruce Roger (BKS Iyengar’s Iyengar Yoga lineage) and David Keil (Pattabhi Jois’ Ashtanga Yoga lineage). We will have guest faculty who are passionate and experienced presenting some of the upcoming intensives. Although I am your trainer and mentor, you will also be encouraged to experience the value and teachings of other well-trained teachers.
A cornerstone of what has continued to breathe life into this living tradition is connection to senior teachers; therefore, every trainee must take four classes with experienced teachers at approved local studios (list provided). Additionally, a class series with Bruce Roger at Yoga St. Louis must be completed during the LAST HALF of your training. Bruce is a senior Iyengar teacher who studied with BKS Iyengar from the 1980’s until his recent death.
- Teach Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques by Mark Stephens
- Yamas & Niyamas by Deborah Adele
- The Bhagavad Gita by Eknath Easwaran
- Living Your Yoga by Judith Lasater
- Chakra Yoga by Anodea Judith, PhD
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with commentary by Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Functional Anatomy of Yoga by David Keil
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van der Kolk, MD
- Attend Weekend Sessions with 100% commitment and dedication, prepared for note-taking.
- Practice at home at least 3 times per week. Be sure to vary the styles that you practice: Vinyasa, restorative, deep stretch, etc. Simply become familiar with moving and flowing in your own body, in any way that you like.
- Complete a Book Report on how you would personally launch a yoga outreach program in the greater St. Louis community that would aim to serve a population that pulls at your heartstrings: ie yoga for MS, yoga for teen moms, yoga for seniors, yoga for the homebound, yoga for black youth, etc.
- Complete 4 totally different yoga sequences. Be sure to include at least one pranayama.
- Take a minimum of 30 classes at Blue Sky Yoga outside of training weekends (included in tuition)
- Complete 8 class observations
- Complete 8 class assists
- Seva project: teach 4 volunteer small group classes to an at-risk population. This comes later in the program and must be pre-approved by the lead trainer.
- Teach a 1-on-1 class to the lead trainer.
- Techniques 100 hours
- Teaching Methodology 25 hours
- Anatomy and Physiology 25 hours
- Yoga Philosophy / Lifestyle / Ethics 38 hours
- Practicum 21 hours
- Electives 15 hours
*books, manual, and a weekend learning retreat are included in your tuition* $300 deposit secures your spot and is deducted from your tuition balance. Due by Feb 1. $2,700 tuition ($2,400 if deposit has been paid) due by March 1. $3,000 payment plan ($300 deposit + $300 per month March – November)